Friday, February 8, 2008

FAQ Friday



One of the most FAQ's I get as a therapist is: "Do your hands get sore from doing this work?" Most of the time I can confidently say "no" (thank God). But unfortunately some weeks are harder than others and/or I let my body mechanics slide a little. As with any one who works a skill, you develop strength as you practice. I'd say it's conditioning. When I am out of practice, that's when I feel it. After coming off of a vacation...

RSI's (Repetitive Strain Injuries) like carpal tunnel syndrome can be helped alleviated by massage; but also, can seriously limit a persons career.
I believe in my own medicine. I practice self massage. I like to trade with other therapists often.
And I appreciate all the helpful people that are making the difference in peoples lives by educating and teaching injury prevention.

A great book on this subject, Save Your Hands, by
Lauriann Greene & Richard W. Goggins, CPE, LMP. I believe it's used as a textbook in some massage schools and the author(s) have regular workshops for allied health care workers.

And also by author Shogo Mocizuki,
Hand Maintenance Guide for Massage Therapists, the art of an injury free career.

Have a great weekend.


No comments: